4/25/17

Bruno Mars (1) - Week of May 6, 2017

Well, I can't exactly say that this week was a good week, despite the greatest gainer and the hot shot debut. We did get rid of a one-week wonder this week, and our #1 song makes no sense whatsoever. But I obviously want to get this done, so here are our exits this week:

  • Shawn Mendes - Mercy (#15)
  • Stargate/P!nk/Sia - Waterfall (#36)
  • Chance the Rapper/Knox Fortune - All Night (#40)

Last Week's #1 Song: Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
The Chart
40. Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato - No Promises (debut)
39. Lady Gaga - The Cure (debut)
38. Rag'n'BoneMan - Human (#39)
37. Lorde - Green Light (#28)
36. DNCE/Nicki Minaj - Kissing Strangers (debut)
35. G-Eazy/Kehlani - Good Life (#37)
34. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (#25)
33. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#38)
32. AJR - Weak (#35)
31. Axwell/Ingrosso/Kid Ink - I Love You (#34)
30. Train - Play That Song (#33)
29. Big Sean - Bounce Back (#19)
28. Jason Derulo/Nicki Minaj/Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla (#30)
27. Martin Garrix/Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely (#31)
26. Marian Hill - Down (#20)
25. Flo Rida/99 Percent - Cake (#27)
24. Drake - Passonfruit (#29)
23. Zayn/PARTYNEXTDOOR - Still Got Time (#24)
22. Machine Gun Kelly/Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best (#23)
21. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (#32)
20. Starley - Call On Me (#21)
19. Kyle/Lil Yatchy - iSpy (#22)
18. Halsey - Now or Never (#26)
17. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#16)
16. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times (#18)
15. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide (#17)
14. Katy Perry/Skip Marley - Chained to the Rhythm (#10)
13. Rihanna - Love on the Brain (#12)
12. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#14)
11. Julia Michaels - Issues (#13)
10. Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#7)
9. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming (#5)
8. Maroon 5/Future - Cold (#11)
7. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#9)
6. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#8)
5. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#6)
4. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne Marie - Rockabye (#4)
3. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#3)
2. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (#2) (nine weeks at #1)
1. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#1) (first week at #1)

Biggest Drop of the Week: Big Sean - Bounce Back (-10)

Biggest Jump of the Week: Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (+11)

Hot Shot Debut: DNCE/Nicki Minaj - Kissing Strangers (#36)

Greatest Gainer: The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#6)

#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Zayn - Pillowtalk (first of two weeks at #1)

New Entrants

-At #40 we have Cheat Codes and Demi Lovato with No Problems. The song can get really annoying at times, and I can't stand the vocals. The lyrics are horrible, and the verses (way they sing them, at least) pretty much makes the song even worse. Especially the pre-chorus, and the chorus; I hate it when they repeatedly say "na na," and that gets really annoying. The worst verse in the entire song is "love ain't easy" and that pretty much is the reason why I despise this song so much. Personally, I think Demi Lovato has done much better in the past with songs such as Give Your Heart A Break and Confident. The solo versions, to be honest, are really good. But collaborations with other people pretty much makes the song "bad." The point is, this song will hopefully be a one-week wonder like Shining and All Night, because I don't want to discuss this atrocious song in any more detail.

-Next up we have Lady Gaga with The Cure. Personally, I was never a big fan of Lady Gaga to begin with. Perfect Illusion was way beyond atrocious because "what happened to her voice?" Million Reasons was never good to begin with, the lyrics, vocals, and music. I think that this song is pretty much the same thing. The lyrics are so repetitive, and the pre-chorus doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Sadly guys, I don't think that I will ever grow into this song. Lady Gaga really needs to leave the music industry as soon as possible, because her new singles are just atrocious vocal messes.

-Our last and "thankfully" hot shot debut is DNCE and Nicki Minaj with Kissing Strangers. Personally, I don't know if a song with that type of title will get some recognition here, but it's definitely recognized by me. But I'm still kind of juggling between yellow and green still, because the song can somehow get annoying with the choice of music. But the vocals and lyrics are great, especially the pre-chorus. I enjoyed DNCE solo, and collaborations with other people. This song will definitely stick with me even if America doesn't recognize this song. You can see this being true with a bunch of songs, such as *cough* Green Light *cough*.

Kissing Blurbs

-OK, America, you had to get rid of All Night as a one-week wonder? Hopefully that song will re-enter, but something tells me it wouldn't if Shining didn't. Especially since I barely hear All Night on my local radio station. The other two exits were definitely needed, though.

-Well, it looks like Human won't jump over one spot at this point. Then again, jumping one spot is better than holding, by judging where that song is right now.

-Green Light flopping is actually really surprising since I just grew into this song and similar. So unless it can gain some airplay, it will be gone next week.

-This is it for Million Reasons. This is its 20th week being here. Apparently this chart has a rule in which if a song spends over 20 weeks on this chart and is supposed to rank below #15 on any week, it automatically leaves. Which means that unless this song can make a 19+ jump next week, it's going to automatically be gone regardless.

-I'm not even going to talk about the jump from I Love You. This song is pretty much just a space filler in my opinion just like Way Down We Go was. Hopefully this song will be gone soon, or not peak any higher than where it is right now.

-Looks as if Swalla, Play That Song, and Scared to be Lonely isn't done that. That's actually good. Hopefully those three songs can stay around for a while longer, but I don't see any of them becoming really big hits here.

-So it looks like Marian Hill - Down is going to truly "flop." But it's ranked at #13 on my year-end predictions right now, so it looks like it could barely make it.

-Passonfruit hopefully will be an even bigger hit than Fake Love. I'm enjoying the new tune, so that's pretty much why.

-Hooray for the biggest jump of the week! Hopefully that that song can replace our #2 song in the future.

-I always wanted iSpy and Call On Me to enter the top 20. The last thing that I truly need is a bunch of horrible songs invading the charts and being space fillers.

-Hooray for Now or Never! I can definitely see this song becoming a big hit here.

-Oh great, we have our #16 song. Sign of the Times is way beyond atrocious at this point. Especially when this is a song which copied a title from like five other songs, some of which were big hits, and some of which weren't. I was actually thinking about this song being the greatest gainer for the third week in a row, which thankfully didn't happen, but I pretty much have to put it in pink.

-I didn't expect Issues to make it to #11. Guess we'll just have to see how much longer this song will stay with us here.

-I Feel It Coming dropping out of the top 5 is actually a really good thing this week. Even though I don't hate it, this song can get repetitive and old really quickly. Hopefully it won't be long until this song leaves the charts.

-Looks like we have another Maroon 5 song in the top 10. The last thing I need is for this song to become the next Don't Wanna Know. This time the repeated word is "cold."

-Well, Stay could become a really big hit here. I can even see this song challenging Shape of You and That's What I Like from the top spot. The lyrics are really catchy, and the music is really good.

-Another song that could challenge That's What I Like and Shape of You from the top is Something Just Like This. Having the greatest gainer for the third time is amazing. Something Just Like This will still be claimed the best song of the first third of this year, and it will always be for good reasons.

-I always wanted It Ain't Me in the top 5. What's even good about this song to begin with? I can criticize this song in every possible way, with the lyrics, music, pre-chorus, and especially the very end.

-Can Rockabye just drop already? I'm so sick of having to hear Sean Paul's verses, the music is way beyond annoying, and Anne Marie singing in the chorus is pretty much giving me a headache.

-It looks like this could be the end of Paris. Thank you for your two weeks at #1. You will claimed the second best song of the first third of the year only to your new single Something Just Like This. Paris, by the way, is starting to lose airplay, which is really bad for this song's performance on this chart.

-Shape of You losing the #1 spot was kind of unexpected. But I kind of guess that that would happen sometime, especially when it lost its #1 streak to That's What I Like.

-But I would have preferred Shape of You over That's What I Like at #1. But even then, That's What I Like is not the worst song here. But let's hope that better singles will hit #1, such as *cough* Stay *cough* and *cough* Something Just Like This *cough*.

Top 20 Review

-1 - Worst Song
20. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

0 - Garbage

19. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
18. Rihanna - Love on the Brain
17. Julia Michaels - Issues
16. Kyle/Lil Yatchy - iSpy
15. Zayn Malik/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever
14. Starley - Call One Me
13. Maroon 5/Future - Cold
12. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You
11. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me
10. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne Marie - Rockabye
9. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide


1 - Bad
None!

2 - Mediocre 
8. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy
7. Katy Perry/Skip Marley - Chained to the Rhythm 
6. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming

3 - Decent
None!

4 - Good
None!

5 - Great
5. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay
4. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go 
3. Halsey - Now or Never
2. The Chainsmokers - Paris

6 - Best Song
1. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This
Total Score: 31/100 (Insanely Awful)

#1 Recommendation for This Chart: Ed Sheeran - Galway Girl

My Top 5 Picks
1. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This
2. Martin Garrix/Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely
3. The Chainsmokers - Paris
4. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill
5. Train - Play That Song


My Bottom 5 Picks
1. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times

2. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
3. Zayn/PARTYNEXTDOOR - Still Got Time
4. Rihanna - Love on the Brain
5. Julia Michaels - Issues

Question of the Week (QOTW): Do you think that All Night by Chance the Rapper featuring Knox Fortune will re-enter this chart? For me, I personally don't know. I mean, it would be nice to have this song back on this chart, but based on airplay right now, I don't think so. At least not anytime soon.

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago + Review On Greatest Gainer

-Just a side note here, there was only one debut last week and the greatest gainer is different though, which makes two songs to review. So my reviews will hopefully be longer.

Greatest Gainer: Drake/WizKid/Kyla - One Dance
Okay, just because of Drake, this song is really bad. I hate the rapping in this song, and the fact that every single video posted on YouTube does not contain the full song is really driving me nuts. First off, the lyrics don't make any sense whatsoever, and the "I need a one dance" is really bad. The pre-chorus is annoying. And don't even get me started into the parts of WizKid and Kyla. Basically, the song is trash. (1/10)

Hot Shot Debut: Twenty One Pilots - Ride
I like most collaborations with Twenty One Pilots. I like this song. The pre-chorus is really amazing. The verses and really good. And this song is one of the songs these days that actually has meaning to it. I will definitely take this song and Stressed Out over Heathens. The vocals and lyrics are really good as well. This song is definitely enjoyable, and I can see why many people like this song. I'm glad that this song got a chance to hit #1 just like Stressed Out, and I'm also glad that Heathens failed to hit #1 on this chart. (9.5/10)



-Thanks for reading, everybody, and enjoy your week!

9 comments:

  1. 1. QOTW: I don't think so.
    2. Explain the colors for #14 and #15.
    3. Will Issues be in pink if it enters the top 10?
    4. How come That's What I Like is not in pink?
    5. What's so bad about Sign of the Times?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6. What's so bad about Shape of You and I Don't Wanna Live Forever?

      Delete
    2. 1. I don't think so either.
      2. CTTR is old and Slide is bad in my opinion.
      3. Unless SOTT enters the top 10 as well, maybe.
      4. Because Sign of the Times is horrible.
      5. The annoying production, vocals, length, voice, pre-chorus, the last chorus, verses, lyrics, etc.
      6. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

      Delete
    3. 1. Yep.
      2. But why?
      3. Okay.
      4. Uhmm...
      5. Okay then.
      6. ^

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It's been on here for 20 weeks already. That's why it's old. And if it drops below #15 it's automatically gone.

      Delete
    2. Is that a rule on the Billboard?

      Delete
  3. What blog leads to mytop50songsoftheweek.blogspot.com lead to? Because that blog doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete