5/9/17

Bruno Mars (3) - Week of May 20, 2017

Well then, this week did get better, but not by that much. We still have our trashy biggest jump of the week and our hot shot debut. And I hate the fact that I'm wrong about that last one-week wonder begging a one-week wonder, because that song re-entered this week, whether I like it or not. The point is, I kind of want music to get better. Before we get to this week's Top Pop Songs, or before I kill Miles, here are the songs that are dropping out.
  • Rihanna - Love on the Brain (#15)
  • Big Sean - Bounce Back (#39)
Last Week's #1 Song : Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
The Chart
40. Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato - No Promises (re-entry)
39. G-Eazy/Kehlani - Good Life (#38)
38. Rag'n'BoneMan - Human (#40)
37. Marian Hill - Down (#30)
36. Katy Perry/Skip Marley - Chained to the Rhythm (#26)
35. Starley - Call On Me (#23)
34. Charlie Puth - Attention (debut)
33. Axwell/Ingrosso/Kid Ink - I Love You (#32)
32. AJR - Weak (#36)
31. Imagine Dragons - Believer (#35)
30. DNCE/Nicki Minaj - Kissing Strangers (#31)
29. Train - Play That Song (#29)
28. Louis Fonsi/Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber - Despacito (#37)
27. Zayn/PARTYNEXTDOOR -  Still Got Time (#22)
26. Jason Derulo/Nicki Minaj/Ty Dolla $ign - Swalla (#27)
25. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#28)
24. Shawn Mendes - There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#33)
23. Flo Rida/99 Percent - Cake (#24)
22. Martin Garrix/Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely (#25)
21. Machine Gun Kelly/Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best (#21)
20. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance the Rapper/Lil Wayne - I'm The One (#34)
19. Kyle/Lil Yatchy - iSpy (#19)
18. Drake - Passonfruit (#20)
17. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#16) 
16. Halsey - Now or Never (#18)
15. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (#17)
14. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times (#14)
13. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming (#11)
12. Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#12)
11. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide (#13)
10. Maroon 5/Future - Cold (#8)
9. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#7)
8. Julia Michaels - Issues (#10)
7. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#9)
6. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne Marie - Rockabye (#6)
5. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#5)
4. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#4)
3. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (#2) (nine weeks at #1)
2. The Chansmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#3)
1. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#1) (third week at #1)

Hot Shot Debut: Charlie Puth - Attention (#34)

Greatest Gainer: DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance the Rapper/Lil Wayne - I'm The One (#20)

Biggest Drop of the Week: Starley - Call On Me (-12)

Biggest Jump of the Week: DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance the Rapper/Lil Wayne - I'm The One (+14)

Top 5 This Week One Year Ago
5. Zara Larsson/MNEK - Never Forget You
4. Fifth Harmony/Ty Dolla $ign - Work From Home
3. Zayn - Pillowtalk
2. Lukas Graham - 7 Years
1. Mike Posner/SeeB - I Took A Pill In Ibiza

New Entrants
-Because (unfortunately), Demi Lovato and Cheat Codes re-enter the chart with No Promises, that leaves us with only one entrant this week.

-That brings us to Charlie Puth with Attention. Personally, I kind of have mixed feelings on this song. Sometimes I will think it is boring, other times I will think that it is catchy. The verses are lenient and mediocre, but the vocals are great. On the other hand, I kind of don't like the lyrics. To be honest, I'll rate this song as decent. Anyways, let's get into some Charlie Puth experiences. One Call Away was really boring and We Don't Talk Anymore was one of the most overplayed pieces of trash and definitely deserves a spot on my bottom 5 songs of the year. But we'll see how far this song goes on the chart. I definitely somewhat enjoy this song, but it might not be long before I start to complain about it. So there's that.

Blurbstion

-Yuck, I will never miss any of our exits. They all deserved to go. Next!

-It's nice to see Good Life holding on, but I highly doubt it won't be long before it leaves.

-Speaking of songs leaving, Marina Hill - Down and Katy Perry./Skip Marley - Chained to the Rhythm are all dropping hard on radio. So unless they can somehow do something to help it gain more spins on radio, they'll be gone soon.

-It doesn't surprise me that I Love You isn't doing anything here. Because I rarely hear it, actually, so hopefully that means that it'll be gone soon.

-Finally, in a million years, Still Got Time is actually dropping on this chart. Hopefully that means that this song will flop.

-Well, The Cure might not be the worst song on the countdown, but that does not mean that I don't want the song to become a hit.

-You all would have probably expected Scared to be Lonely to be gone already. But, look where it is. And judging by the color that the song is in right now, hopefully it means that it will hit the top 20.

-Can iSpy just leave already? That would be appreciative.

-It looks like this could truly be the end of The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming. I was not a big fan of it to begin with, so I won't miss the song that much.

-Well, Slide unfortunately became a hiit. Hopefully it'll just stay there and fall down.

-Cold and Paris dropping wasn't that much of a surprise. The latter I hope stays for a while longer, while the former should probably leave soon before I get another trashy Maroon 5 song on my mind.

-Issues and Say You Won't Let Go are moving in a pair. That wasn't unexpected, and I'm not surprised that this is happening, but hopefully the former won't hit the top 5. If it does, prepare to have a rant when the year-end list comes.

-Finally It Ain't Me reached its peak. Hopefully it doesn't go any further beyond that, because the song truly is a mess.

-And finally Shape of You is dropping. Hopefully the song will be gone soon, and I hope that another song that is good replaces Shape of You from the #1 spot on the year-end list.

-Even though it's not my favorite song on the chart, Something Just Like This should hit #1 on this chart soon. Therefore That's What I Like will have competition. But if I had to judge, they're pretty far off. But if Something Just Like This can keep gaining at the same rate, within two weeks it will be the new #1 song, if not the next week.

-Anyways, the poll results weren't that interesting. Stay got two votes, It Ain't Me and Something Just Like This got 3 votes, and Shape of You got 1 vote. Thank you all for making That's What I Like have no votes at all.

-Before I close my blurbs, I have two more things that I would like to mention.

-So first up is comment moderation. I have indeed turned comment moderation on, and you can thank the stupidity of Miles by saying that people's opinions are wrong and not respecting them. I only turned on comment moderation because of what is happening on Hollow Man's blog, and I really hope that Hollow Man turns on comment moderation on his blog as well because of Miles and his fucking stupidity. Meanwhile, I don't know how long I'll have comment moderation turned on, but it's definitely going to last until Miles can stop with the fucking stupidity of not respecting other's opinions.

-Finally, for those of you unaware, I have added a new feature on my weekly posts. I will be posting a number in parentheses for each song for my top 20 review and my top 5/bottom 5 picks. Basically, the number in parentheses is the rank of the song on the chart for this week (if the song is on the chart).

Top 20 Review

-1 - Worst Song
20. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#1)

 0 - Garbage
19. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance the Rapper/Lil Wayne - I'm The One (#20)
18. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#4)
17. Julia Michaels - Issues (#8)
16. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos - Slide (#11)
15. Maroon 5/Future - Cold (#10)
14. Harry Styles - Sign of the Times (#14)
13. Zayn/Taylor Swift - I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#12)

1 - Bad
12. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne Marie - Rockabye (#6)
11. Kyle/Lil Yatchy - iSpy (#19)
10. Ed Sheeran - Shape of You (#3)

2 - Mediocre
9. The Weeknd/Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming (#13)

3 - Decent
8. Linkin Park/Kiiara - Heavy (#17)

4 - Good
None!

5 - Great
7. Ed Sheeran - Castle on the Hill (#15)
6. Halsey - Now Or Never (#16)
5. James Arthur - Say You Won't Let Go (#7)
4. Zedd/Alessia Cara - Stay (#5)
3. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#9)
2. Drake - Passonfruit (#18)
1. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#2)

6 - Best Song
None!

Total Score: 42/100 (Really Bad)

Most Missed Pick: Calvin Harris/Rihanna - This Is What You Came For

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: Ariana Grande - Dangerous Woman

#1 Recommendation for This Chart: Noah Cyrus - Stay Together

My Top 5 Picks
1. Martin Garrix/Dua Lipa - Scared to be Lonely (#22)
2. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay - Something Just Like This (#2)
3. Drake - Passonfruit (#18)
4. Machine Gun Kelly/Hailee Steinfeld - At My Best (#21)
5. The Chainsmokers - Paris (#9)

My Bottom 5 Picks
1. Bruno Mars - That's What I Like (#1)
2. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance the Rapper/Lil Wayne - I'm The One (#20)
3. Kygo/Selena Gomez - It Ain't Me (#4)
4. Lady Gaga - The Cure (#25)
5. Zayn/PARTYNEXTDOOR - Still Got Time (#27)

I can't think of a good question for this week. That means there will probably be two questions next week for you guys to answer.

Songs That Debuted This Week One Year Ago + Review On Greatest Gainer

Greatest Gainer + Hot Shot Debut: Justin Timberlake - Can't Stop the Feeling
One of the most overplayed songs of last year. And for a good reason, too. The vocals are amazing, and lyrics are definitely a step up from other songs. I just can't stop the feeling! (10/10)

Other Debut: Selena Gomez - Kill 'Em With Kindness
I wouldn't say that this song is as bad as Hands to Myself or Same Old Love, but I still can't stand the verses in this song. Seriously, Selena, please stop killing us with your songs of yours! (3.5/10)

-Thanks for reading, everybody!

15 comments:

  1. #1 Recommendation for Lukas: Logic/Alessia
    Cara/Khalid - 1-800-273-8255

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought that was a phone number for a second. Now I know it's a song.

      Delete
  2. Why do you hate It Ain't Me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annoying verses, music, repetitive vocals.

      Delete
  3. I completely agree with your most missed pick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suggest you should vote for my 2016 Hits 1 Year-End List rankdown. I know you don't blog about Hits 1 but the list features a lot of hits from the past year. If you don't want to vote, it's up to you. But if you've participated in a Song Wars before, you'll like this too. It would be more fun if there were more votes, so I suggest you vote if you want. I currently have 4 votes, including myself. The form closes in 10 days, and here is the link:
    https://goo.gl/forms/8nJ3Lox8liGXG9QR2

    ReplyDelete